I love tiramisu. And I also love that it does not require any baking.
Here’s a very simple recipe:
– 3 egg yolks (I usually buy the eggs on the day I make this, so they’re as fresh as possible. You’re basically going to consume raw egg yolks so its probably best to also buy the best & freshest eggs you can find. You really wouldnt wanna use eggs which have been sitting around for weeks.)
– 1.5- 2 tablespoons of sugar (You can use as little or as much sugar as you like. 1 – 2 tablespoons would be just nice.)
– 250 gm mascarpone cheese (Buy the smaller tub you find at the supermarket.)
– 1 cup strong espresso, cooled (I use 3 coffee bags, steeped in boiling water, to make “strong expresso”.)
– 2- 3 tablespoons of Baileys Irish Cream. Or rum if you have that.
– Lady fingers/ sponge fingers
1. Make the expresso first, so that it has time to cool.
2. Use electric mixer to whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale & creamy, approx. 5 mins. Add mascarpone cheese and beat until smooth. Add 1 tablespoon of expresso and mix until thoroughly combined. I also add the Baileys in at this point.
3. In a small shallow dish, add remaining expresso. Dip each ladyfinger into expresso for 3- 5 seconds, careful not to let it soak for too long or the ladyfinger will disintegrate… very quickly. (The first time I made tiramisu, I lost 6 ladyfingers. RIP.)
4. Line a container with the expresso-soaked ladyfingers. Spoon the egg yolk + sugar + mascarpone cheese mixture over the 1st layer of ladyfingers. Repeat this step 2- 3 times, depending on the size & depth of your container.
(I love how the ladyfingers fit perfectly in this cake baking thingy!)
Mine has three layers. You should have end up with enough mixture to top it all off.
This recipe will yield enough tiramisu for 2 very greedy people, or 4-5 less greedy people. :)
5. Sprinkle with a generous dusting of cocoa powder or semi-sweet chocolate chips, cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for 6 hours, to set.
Its super moist, creamy and yummy!
Who needs ovens??